Saturday, August 25, 2012

Story about Peter..

This is a story about man named "Peter". I met Peter in my early 20s at my first job. Pete used to be a NASA engineer who had transferred to this part of country to retire. He was a software engineer and I was a fresh out of the school employee. I worked in a lab and was supposed to design this lab based data management system. But I have never had any training in software design or databases. So, I started collaborating with Pete on database designs. We used to meet once every week. In our conversations I realized Pete was a genius in investing and stocks. He started talking to me about my financial future. Have I started setting aside my contributions to 401K? Do I have a Roth IRA etc? You realize until that point I never even knew what the difference in stocks and bonds were. He pointed me in the direction of different books, and sites such as yahoo and msn boards. This is way before we had our social media networks. What a huge blessing to me it was to run into someone like Pete. I always had a desire to learn more about investing and trading, but never had any guidance. He took the time and effort to guide me. He would regularly stop in to see if I had any questions or if he could help me. All it took was a little bit of his time and my eagerness to learn. Pete is retired and long gone and I have moved on too. But I will always cherish my friendship with him and what he has taught me.

How often in our lives we see someone with a need and just ignore it? How often do we take a minute of our time and help them? Sometimes we miss out on opportunities to develop new connections because we are in hurry. When I look back at my life it was Pete who had sown this seed in my life. Now, I try to be on the look out of sowing some seeds in someone else's life whenever I can. In the long run it all pays off.

No comments:

Post a Comment